Chapter 16 of Lucy Maud Montgomery’s ‘Anne of Green Gables’ doesn’t bring us to a blissful cozy place with its title: ‘Diana Is Invited To Tea With Tragic Results’. Soon, however, Anne is delighting in the glories of a Prince Edward Island Fall.
‘October was a beautiful month at Green Gables, when the birches in the hollow turned as golden as sunshine and the maples behind the orchard were royal crimson and the wild cherry trees along the lane put on the loveliest shades of dark red and bronzy green, while the fields sunned themselves in aftermaths.
Anne reveled in the world of color about her.
“Oh, Marilla,” she exclaimed one Saturday morning, coming dancing in with her arms full of gorgeous boughs” ‘I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers..’
What are some of the things that people appreciate most about Autumn?
Well, according to a poll of 2000 adults – conducted in the US by One Poll – it’s the changing leaves and the crisp in the air that are most appreciated.
Which of your favourites are on this list? I see no Back to School rituals or memories here. As a child did your heart leap or plotz at the thought of a new school year?
Top 30 Favourites of Fall
- Watching the leaves change colour
- The chill in the air
- Drinking hot chocolate
- Getting ready for the holidays
- Making homemade soup
- Beginning to cook holiday foods
- Watching Halloween movies
- Wearing big sweaters
- Listening to the sound of rain on my roof
- Lighting seasonal candles
- Baking pies
- Having cinnamon apple food/drinks
- Making pumpkin pie
- Having pumpkin spice food/drinks
- Drinking hot apple cider
- Carving pumpkins
- Wearing chunky socks and boots
- Stepping on crunchy leaves
- Wearing plaid/flannels
- Baking pumpkin bread
- Going “leaf peeping” 📷
- Having a backyard campfire with friends
- Seeing my breath when walking outside
- Roasting marshmallows
- Eating candy apples
- Taking fall-themed photos
- Seeing frost on the grass
- Going pumpkin picking
- Eating pumpkin seeds
- Wearing scarves